At Oakwood Family Dental Clinic, we understand the importance of a thorough oral exam in maintaining your oral and systemic health. Our systematic process is designed to identify any pathologies or concerns and develop a customized treatment plan that maximizes your oral health while meeting your goals and expectations.
The Complete Oral Exam is a critical component of your ongoing oral health, as it allows our dentist to examine your mouth for issues that can impact your overall health. This comprehensive exam can detect problems early, before they become more serious and costly to treat. During your exam, our dentist and dental hygienist will look for:
• Early signs of cavities
• Damaged, missing, or decayed teeth
• Signs of mouth or throat cancer, such as white lesions or blocked salivary glands
• To see how previous dental work such as root canals, fillings and crowns are holding up
• Condition of your gums, such as periodontal pockets, inflammation, or other signs of gum disease
• Signs that you clench or grind your teeth
• Position of your teeth (e.g. spacing, bite)
• The overall health and function of your temporomandibular joint
• Other suspicious growths or cysts
• The overall condition of the bones in your face, jaw and around your mouth
A Complete Oral Exam should be performed by our dentist and dental hygienist every three to five years depending on your oral health. All new patients to Oakwood Family Dental will have a Complete Oral Exam at their first visit and then every three to five years after depending on individual need.